Some of the best pasta sauces are the simplest. Here, fresh tomatoes cook quickly in a little olive oil and plenty of garlic, then get a bright finish with lemon zest and fresh lemon juice. Quick, pan-grilled shrimp adds smoky, briny flavor in this casual dinner for two (easily doubled).
- 4-5 oz thin spaghetti
- 1/2 lb medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- olive oil for marinating, plus 3 tbsp
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 stem tomatoes, seeded and chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 tsp finely chopped lemon zest
- fresh lemon juice and chopped flat-leaf parsley, for serving
- Cook the pasta in boiling, salted water 6 minutes and drain.
- In a small bowl, toss the shrimp with a little oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat a grill pan over high heat. Add the marinated shrimp and grill until pink with light char marks, about 3 minutes, turning halfway through. Transfer to a plate.
- Meanwhile, heat a skillet over medium heat and add 3 tablespoons of oil. Add the garlic and cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently to keep from browning.
- Add the tomatoes and cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently. (The tomatoes will not be broken down.)
- Add the grilled shrimp and lemon zest to the skillet and cook 1 minute. Add the drained pasta and stir well to combine, 1 minute.
To serve, divide between 2 pasta bowls and drizzle each with fresh lemon juice. Sprinkle with parsley and serve right away.